Summer 2018 Roundup

Just like the England Mens team, many of the Brixworth Juniors teams were in action over the 2018 summer break. Below is a quick round up of some of the successes they had.


Brixworth U7’s had a really strong season with some notable victories against academy sides on their Saturday morning matches at Dallington.  They also continued this great form in the summer tournaments they entered!

This culminated in an invite to play the Leicester City U7 Elite Team on 26th June, invites not handed out very often!  A combined Jaguars & Pumas team played them on the 4G pitches at the LCFC Training Academy in central Leicester and managed to achieve a 2-1 loss.  An amazing result and one that bodes really well for their future at this age group.


Under 9s Panthers played in three tournaments over the summer and played some excellent football in all three! Making the semi-final in one and losing out only to a single goal in the final of another, they finally got their hands on their first ever silverware, winning at the Long Buckby Tournament.

Some very proud coaches and parents watched them pick up the Plate on a glorious sunny day which I’m sure they’ll remember for many years to come.


The first of these was at Long Buckby and saw us in a very tough league of 8 teams. We got off to a great start with wins against the hosts and another team but then failed to beat any of the other teams in the group only losing narrowly in all the matches including one against Crick who have been long standing rivals especially during the 2016/17 league season. We qualified for the plate semi-finals in 6th place and won this match reasonably easily to progress to the plate final. Predictably the draw had put us against Crick. We played well in the final and were the better team (the Crick manager admitted this) but at full time the scores were level so it went straight to penalties. Despite several good penalties we played England’s old role and lost gallantly on spot kicks. However, there were a lot of positives to take from the performance including 3 players making their debuts for the club. Our new goalkeeper made some extremely good saves and was kept very busy through most of the matches. Owen and Isaac also made their debuts and impressed with both boys scoring more than once and showing a touch of class especially in front of goal that is encouraging for next season.

The second tournament was at Roade. We were in a group of 8 teams with only 3 of them being local and known to us. However, it didn’t matter who they were as we fairly convincingly destroyed all that was put before us. We played some exceptional passing football that involved all the players with a lot of moves starting from our defence or with our goalkeeper and passing the ball through midfield to the strikers. This was as good as the boys had ever played and got the appropriate comments from other teams managers and supporters. We finished the group winning all our matches without conceding a goal. We went into the cup semi-final as strong favourites and had to play TMA Spartans, who we had just beaten 2-0 in the last group match. They scored an early goal and ‘parked the Mourinho bus’. We managed to create some decent chances but couldn’t get an equaliser so bowed out at that stage. It was very disappointing at the end but enormous credit goes to the boys for their superb style of play in the group stage.

The third tournament was at Wootton. We were in a group of 6 teams which included very good teams from the hosts, Wootton, Rugby and Ringstead. We managed to get 2 draws in the group stages against Halse and Ringstead but ended in 6th place. This got us a plate semi-final against Wootton (an A League side compared to our B League status) who were too strong for us. There was good commitment from all the boys but on the day we just weren’t quite good enough.

The U13s also entered the Daventry tournament on 15th July – World Cup Final day so it was lucky England weren’t playing?!  A strong start in the group gave early promise and they went through to the quarter finals.  Turning on the style to comfortably beat one of the Daventry club sides 4-0 to make the semi’s. A nail-biter ensued in the semi-final against a team from Bedford. 0-0 at full time, into 5 mins of golden goal before penalties. A free kick for Bedford right on the final whistle somehow deflected in off the far post meant unfortunately penalties weren’t needed – but a really good performance on a very hot day.


Brixworth Under 14s Pumas have had a great close season winning two tournaments at Corby in June and Daventry in July.
The Corby Thomas McNamee tournament which supports the heart foundation is one that we enjoy playing it having won it two years ago and this year we played in a one group of 8 competition with the top 4 making the semi-finals.
All started well with 2 wins and 2 draws, then a slight blip with two close 1-0 defeats which meant the last game would be tight affair to make the top 4, the boys pulled it together and made it into the semi finals as they won 2 -1, some very physical teams in this competition meant the boys had some challenges that they had not faced too many times before.
So into the Semis, the team we were drawn against was one who had beaten us earlier in the tournament, this time around we got off to a flyer as with some neat interplay between Roberts and Peasland we struck early to take the lead, the Stewart and Lloyd team got back into it with a great equaliser, into the last few minutes and again Peasland took it upon himself to turn a half chance into a great chance as he banged home the winner.
Into the Final against the Magpies who we had beaten 3-1 in game one, this time around we had to come from behind as they took the lead after 5 minutes, the crowd were silenced though as Brixworth playing the nicer football equalised with a great volley from Roberts who was producing some fantastic football and winning goals, this time around he laid on the winning goal for Truman to bang it home and win the 1st trophy of the summer.

The Daventry Tournament held in July on an absolutely fantastic sunny day, gazeboes up, sun tan lotion applied off we went in two groups of 5 teams, the top 4 from each group into the Quarter Finals, game 1 we were 3 up after 7 minutes in what were just 10 minute matches, we allowed the opposition to get 2 back but a great start. On these small pitches the next 3 games ended 0-0 but they were exciting affairs as we created plenty of chances just couldn’t score them, still we finished 3rd in the group meaning we to play Parklands Tigers in the Quarters, a great 3-0 win here with again some crisp passing and finishing saw us move to the semis to take on West Haddon, this was a tighter affair, after full time it was still 0-0 and we then moved to the golden goal extra time rule, with two minutes left on the clock a free kick, a well worked routine with hours of training ground practice saw Delaney roll the ball past the wall onto the sweet left foot of Truman who flicked it into the net to win and take us to the final.
In the Final we played Lillington from Leamington Spa a team we had drawn 0-0 against earlier in the group stages, we took the lead with a cheeky little back heel into the net by Delaney who was inspired, sadly they got back into it with a header from a corner, with only 2 minutes left on the watch an inspired substitution saw Compton off and Roberts on, who in turn received the ball with his back to goal and a quick swivel and shot saw him bang in the winning goal , excellent day had by all and the boys really happy again with their wins. Well done lads.