U11 Jaguars into Round 3 of Cup

Cup Delight for Rampant Brixworth.

Brixworth Jaguars U11’s came into round 2 of the NTFA cup hoping to replicate their positive league form and with high hopes of a victory; only Corby Hellenic Fisher FC stood in their way.

The game began in a lively fashion, and it was Brixworth who drew first blood in just under 3 minutes. A long throw from Oliver Savage found its way through to Robert Vizor who coolly dispatched it under the goalkeeper to give the hosts an early lead. Clever play from midfielders Joe Davide and Leon Rush continued to fashion chances, and it was this partnership that would lead to a second goal just 4 minutes after the first. A surging solo run from Davide was followed by a piercing through ball which Rush took into his stride and stroked home with great finesse.

Brixworth Goalkeeper Tom Wallinger was called into action for the first time soon after, but displayed a safe pair of hands. This in tandem with sound defending from Savage and Stirling Green kept Corby at bay. Midfielder Ted Hutchinson continued to pull the strings in midfield, and it was the Brixworth number 14 who provided the third goal of the match on the 20 minute mark. A Brixworth corner seemed to have been dealt with, however Hutchinson produced an outrageous acrobatic effort to arrow the ball into the Corby goal.


Brixworth showed no sign of slowing; continuing to bombard and overwhelm their opposition. On 24 minutes, striker James Henry played a pin-point accurate pass to Alistair Osborne, whose shot demanded a fine save from the Corby goalkeeper. However, just minutes later, Brixworth would extend their lead further. A forward pass from Green was flicked on expertly by Oliver Rose into the path Osborne, who floated the ball exquisitely over the goalkeeper’s hapless head, and into the far corner of the net. The Jaguars wasted no time with celebrations, and quickly registered a fifth. A superb cross from Robert Vizor found an unmarked Ross Anzalone in the box who fired into the top corner. Brixworth went into half time five goals to the good; by far the dominant team.


The second half began in contrasting fashion to the first; it was Corby who applied the early pressure. This was to pay dividends 5 minutes in; the Red Striker dispossessing the Brixworth Defender, and planting it into the bottom corner. This sparked Brixworth back into life; an instant reply brought 2 goals in the space of a minute. Firstly, a quick Brixworth attack saw a deep cross from Vizor met by Wallinger at the far post, who stroked home the Jaguars’ sixth of the game. This was shortly followed by a sweeping Brixworth attack which saw Davide unleash a powerful drive into the bottom corner after reacting quickest to the loose ball after the Corby goalkeeper had stopped well from an Oliver Savage strike.

Continuously solid defending from Anzalone made a Corby goal seem unlikely, and Brixworth continued to bombard their hapless opposition. Tricky dribbling from Ethan Kelly drew a foul from the opposing defender, and the Brixworth man fired the resultant free-kick into the top corner or the goal.
Oliver Rose joined the score-sheet in the 55th minute, after confidently running onto a through ball, and finishing expertly past the helpless goalkeeper. Brixworth were not done there. Minutes before the full time whistle, the men in white entered double figures after a brilliant Brixworth move was finished coolly by James Henry. Henry hunted his second in the dying embers of the game, but could only drag his shot wide following some good hold up play.

The full-time whistle marked a dominant and ruthless performance from an impressive Brixworth side; deservedly emerging victorious. As well as a squad that oozes quality, performances like these will instil this side with the confidence that they can progress all the way to the final.
MOTM: Joe Davide

Report by Jacob Reid